We have partnered with dietician and nutritionist Mariana Dineen from @prettynutritious_ to give you an exclusive heart healthy recipe guide. Here is one of our favourites, the ‘Meatless Veggie Bowl’ to get your taste buds excited whilst being kind to your heart. Give it a go and let us know what you think on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Meatless Veggie Bowl
Plant based meals are low in saturated fats and rich in fiber, two important factors for keeping your heart healthy and strong. Following a plant based diet has consistently been linked to lower risk of heart disease.
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut (1/2 inch pieces)
1 15 once can chickpeas rinsed and drained
8 oz mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
4 cups mixed greens
Radishes and sesame seeds (garnish)
Balsamic and fig dressing (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300°F / 159°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Cook quinoa as per instructions.
3. Place sweet potato and chickpeas on baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with small amount of salt
4. Roast for 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and chickpeas are browned and crispy.
5. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until fully cooked.
6. Divide the quinoa, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, mixed greens, mushrooms and avocado evenly between 4 bowls. Garnish with radishes and sesame seeds and drizzle 2 tbsp of dressing.
Mariana is a registered dietitian and the founder of Pretty Nutritious, a wellness organization and social media platform with a mission to educate and inspire people to practice the simple, yet sometimes not so easy, art of healthy living. You can find out more about Mariana on her website here, or check her out on Instagram at @prettynutritious_.