Better Numbers Blog Series: Striking a Balance – Tips to Achieve a Heart-Healthy Diet
In the fourth instalment of our Better Numbers Blog Series, we’ll be discussing how to achieve a heart-healthy diet for hypertension management and healthy blood pressure levels.
As March is National Nutrition Month, this is the perfect time to focus on making informed food choices and developing healthy eating habits that promote a healthy heart.
According to the American Heart Association, a balanced diet is crucial for heart-healthy eating. A balanced diet includes; a mix of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein sources, and healthy fats. It’s worth noting that everyone’s dietary needs differ based on factors such as age, gender, and activity level.
Fortunately, making healthy food choices needn’t be complicated. Here are some easy tips to get started:
- Incorporate a variety of fruits and veggies into your diet, whether fresh, frozen, or canned. Make sure to select wisely by carefully reading the food labels.
- Keep fresh fruit and pre-chopped or no-chop veggies on hand for convenient snacking.
- Get your omega-3 fatty acids from oily fish like salmon, mackerel, trout, and albacore tuna—these types of fish help to promote heart health.
- Opt for a small serving of nuts or seeds to indulge in a fulfilling and nutritious snack. Select unsalted or lightly salted varieties such as almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts.
- Choose lean protein sources like skinless chicken or turkey, fish, legumes, and tofu.
- Whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, whole-grain bread, pasta, and cereal are excellent sources of fiber and nutrients.
- Be mindful of added sugars and sodium when reaching for processed or packaged foods; instead, opt for whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible.
Did you know that even eating together as a family can also help reduce stress and promote heart health?
Remember, nutrition plays a significant role in maintaining healthy blood pressure levels and promoting a healthy heart. By integrating these tips into your diet and making informed food choices, you can reduce your risk of hypertension and improve your overall health. So, try mixing it up and enjoying all the delicious and heart-healthy foods.
Qardio and 120/Life are committed to helping you take control of your heart health. That’s why we’ve teamed up to provide some fantastic resources. Use National Nutrition Month as motivation to focus on making positive changes to your diet to improve your heart health and lower your risk of hypertension. We have teamed up with 120/Life for this series because we are committed to helping you take control of your heart health.
You’ll have everything you need to achieve your heart health goals using our at-home blood pressure monitor, the QardioArm, and 120/Life’s functional beverage. To help you get started, 120/Life is offering an exclusive 20% discount on their two-week trial pack using discount code 120LIFE on their website at www.120life.com/trial. *Available only in the US
Additionally, you can also use the discount code 120LIFE to receive a 20% discount on the QardioArm Smart BP Monitor.